Becoming a PAID Speaker or Professional Presenter
Many people just LOVE speaking in front of an audience and the buzz they get from presenting. They want to make a difference, help other people or just enjoy the lifestyle, fame and income of a being PAID professional speaker. This page is full of RESOURCES & TIPS for anyone getting started as a paid Speaker and moving from FREE to FEE.
SPEAKING BASICS – Learning to be a Better Speaker or Presenter
If you love to speak, you can learn to improve your speaking skills and confidence. There are many books, presentation skills trainers and courses and speaker groups to help you give a better speech or presentation. The same as any skill or habit – like Golf, Singing or Acting – it just takes study, preparation, and LOTS of practice. A supportive Speaker Coach and some natural talent helps too.
Courses like Dale Carnegie and Speaking Clubs like Rostrum & Toastmasters can help you develop more confidence to present your own stories & ideas to an audience. There are special techniques you can learn to give a more structured presentation, tell a more engaging story or deliver an impromptu speech ‘off the cuff’. It just takes time, effort, and practice.
It is quite easy to present to a small audience of just a few people then with more practice, grow your confidence & skills to manage progressively BIGGER Audiences. A different set of speaking skills are required for audiences of 10, 100, 1000 and 10,000+ people.
You can work on developing your UNIQUE Speaking Content, Style, and Tools. Things like your screen graphics & aids (like pictures, videos or slides), Your own Stories, Props, and Audience Engagement Activities. Professional Speakers develop and use their OWN Material and Stories – they do NOT take and use other people’s I.P.!
Beyond your own Unique Content & I.P. as a speaker, there is mastery of your Methodology and Artistry too.
When you are getting GOOD audience feedback and are being ASKED to speak at other events, it may be time to consider becoming a professional and charging an appropriate speaking fee.
12 STEPS to Being a Paid Speaker or Motivational Speaker
- Start with RESEARCH – do online research about your topic, ask a speaker or trainer & ask your friends about your ability
- Create a SPEAKER PLAN – Your Target Market, Key Topics, Your Competitors & Gurus and Popular Search Keywords
- Do some FREE GIGS and get Testimonials from the organiser and Audience feedback sheets (Be a GUEST Speaker)
- Create MARKETING MATERIALS – Your Bio, Photos, Videos, Your Topic Descriptions, Collect Reviews or Testimonials
- Create your ONLINE PRESENCE – Speaker Website, Directories and Social media listings like Linked In, Facebook & Youtube
- Work on Improving your SPEAKING SKILLS – Stories, Stagecraft, Humour, AV/Tech, Body language etc
- DECIDE YOUR FEE RANGE and EXTRAS CHARGES – Travel, Accom & Materials,
- Find some PAYING CLIENTS – use your personal network and get repeat business/referrals
- Find a COACH, MENTOR or MASTERMIND Group to develop your business and speaking skills
- Join a SPEAKERS SUPPORT GROUP to meet and get help from other speakers, trainers & presenters
- Attend SPEAKER ASSOCIATION Meetings, Workshops and Annual Conference
- Work Closely with SPEAKER BUREAUS and perform at SHOWCASE EVENTS to Grow your Speaking Career
How to Grow your Paid Speaker, Presenting & Training Business
Here are the BEST BLOGS to help grow your speaking, training & presentation business.
- Best Ways to GET MORE GIGS – How to Build your Presenting and Training Business
- RESOURCES to GROW your Presenting & Training Business
- How to Sell Your Speaking Services – The Best Questions to Ask to Convert more Enquiries into Bookings
- Learn the Ethics and Rules of Professional Speaking
- Get some HELP! – The BEST Coaches and Mentors for Speakers, Experts & Specialists
Choosing Speaking Topics & Setting Fees
Choose your TOPICS and Set Your FEE based on your speaking expertise – Please be advised to ONLY speak on topics that you have significant knowledge and personal experience about.
Here are some popular Topics and a Guide to the evolution of your Speaker Fees – From FREE to FEE
- 2021 HOT Conference TOPICS & Conference Themes
- HOT WEBINAR TOPICS during the Corona Crisis
- 2022 Guide to Australian Conference SPEAKER FEES
Understand the Event Marketplace for a Paid Speaker & Presenter
These articles provide an overview of the entire event and conference marketplace in Australia, strategies & suggestions for how, where and when you can find more events to present at.
- Who Hires Speakers? – Overview of the Australian SPEAKER MARKET – You should read this!
- LIST of Organisations wanting a GUEST SPEAKER – Where to Speak for FREE
- ANNUAL CALENDAR for Speakers Events & Marketing Calendar
- LIST of the BEST EVENTS to showcase your speaking – Where to Speak in front of a room of speaker buyers
Creating Your Speaker Marketing Materials
- How to Write the perfect EXPERT BIO that positions you
- BEST VIDEO EXPERTS & tools for Presenters to make more videos
- BEST Presenter SHOW REEL & Sizzle Reels – How to create them
- BEST Portrait and Headshot Photographers for Presenters
Consider joining Professional Speakers Australia (PSA) or attending their Annual Speakers Convention